Sir Benfro

Charlton, Pembroke Dock

The red brick corner public house dates back to the mid 19th century, one of many built in Pembroke Dock’s Victorian grid iron style streets.  As with many of the town’s pubs it has a long bar which at one time lined pints galore for the dockland workers. 

The name of pub derives from the Meyrick family on which Pembroke Dock was built with Charlton being the original surname of Thomas Meyrick.

Lydstep Tavern, Lydstep

The inn lies on the A4139 between Tenby and Pembroke and opened in July 1974 on the site of an old inn called Quarry Hotel which had served thirsty quarrymen and sailors.  Limestone was quarried from nearby Lydstep Haven and exported to west country ports.
Being the only public house in the village the Quarry became a popular watering hole which also attracted a steady influx of tourists to the area.  A former labourer called Twigg held the license from 1851 until his death in 1878. 

Dial Inn, Lamphey

The village of Lamphey in Pembrokeshire was without a public house for nearly a century with the closure of the Railway Inn in 1869.  This all changed with the opening of the Dial Inn in 1967 which was converted from a private house by Mr Wally Howells.  As a private house it was known as Dial House due to its sundial. 
Much refurbished over the years with the addition of a games room and dining room. 

The Flying Boat, Pembroke Dock

The Flying Boat, Pembroke DockThe Flying Boat dates back to the 19th century and formerly known as the Commercial Inn.  Originally it was a cobblers shop which was then converted into a public house and was extended greatly by Walter Griffiths of Laugharne. 

Swan Inn, Pembroke Dock

The Swan Inn dates back to 1865 and is one of the oldest pubs in town.  Between 1906 and 1914 it had a reputation of being open early in the morning – serving customers as early as 5.30am!

It was also the meeting place of the local R.A.O.B. club.

From 1922 to 1961 Harry Perry was the licensee and strangely enough he was teetotal.

Rose and Crown, Pembroke Dock

The Rose and Crown was opened in the early 1840s and for a while the Loyal Prince Albert Lodge of Odd Fellows held its first meeting there and soon had its own lodge room on the premises.  William Llewellyn was the licensee during this period. 

Ernest Peach was the landlord in the 1950s and 1960s and was followed by Len and Irene Thomas.  During their tenureship many of Pembroke Dock’s pubs closed but thankfully the Rose and Crown is still serving the local community.

The First and Last, Pembroke Dock

The First and Last in Pembroke Dock stands on the old turnpike road and is the last public house before leaving town.  Formerly known as the Commercial House owing to the increased number of commercial travellers beginning to arrive in town during the 19th century.  It was the last of the Commercial pubs to be renamed and became known as the First and Last in 1991.

Serving real ale and also has guest ales.

Entertainment include live music and quizzes.

Beer garden.

Swan Inn, Little Haven

A regular haunt of the Royal Photographer Norman Parkinson who took photos of the locals whilst staying in the village during the 1950s


Sergeant's Inn, Eglwyswrw

The Serjeant’s Inn was an 18th century Grade II coaching inn located in the heart of Eglwyswrw on the A 487 road.  At one time used by  the local Petty Sessions as recalled by the Pembrokeshire Antiquarian Richard Fenton:
‘Here during the stay of the itinerant counsel, a tribunal is constituted for trying all offenses against the dignity of the bar; in carrying on which mock process, an infinite deal of wit, humour and festivity is excited’

The White Hart, St Dogmaels

The 18th century White Hart stands opposite the ruined abbey and is the oldest public house in St Dogmaels.  Set into the hillside and has bar lounges on different levels with the lower level having a flagstone floor and beamed ceiling.

From 1858 to 1871 the pub was kept by master mariner William Evans. Later his daughter, Mrs Eleanor Richards took over the pub and in 1937 it was reported the White Hart, of the remaining pubs left in the village, was doing the best business and remained in the same family for over 80 years. 


Subscribe to RSS - Sir Benfro

Privacy & Terms | House Rules
E&OE. All content on this site, unless otherwise stated, is Copyright © PubsCymru
website by euan raffel