Sir Benfro

The Hundred House Inn, Bleddfa

Located in the quiet Radnorshire village of Bleddfa and the inn derived its name from the court of the Hundred Townships of Cefnllys who met at the village inn in from 1524 until 1867.  Legal matters and affairs of the parish were discussed in these law courts that travelled around the remoter parts of the country. Those unfortunate to be sentenced to death at the inn were usually taken to Monaughty to be hanged.

The Trafalgar, Milford Haven

The original name was the Spirit Shop and opened its doors in 1861.  From 1941 to 1956 Herbert Nicholls was the licensee and was renowned for sounding a ship’s bell rather than the customary cry of ‘time’.  Became a popular haunt of fishermen and became known as the ‘Devon’ after a local trawler.

To honour Milford’s Nelson connection the pub was renamed the Trafalgar in the early 1990s.

Kimberley, Milford Haven

Formerly known as the New Inn and dates back to the 1880s when Thomas and Jane Thomas ran the premises.  Became popular with the dock workers of the area. 

John White became landlord in 1898 and subsequently changed its name to the Kimberley to commemorate the lifting of a siege during the Boer war in 1900. 

Miss Mary Williams ran the Alma until 1979 and stubbornly refused women in the public bar.  How times have changed!

Now an open plan public house allegedly haunted by the late Miss Williams.

Alma, Milford Haven

A locals Brains pub named after one of the battles of the Crimean war.  Well known sports pub and serving real ale.

At one time the local dentist, Dick Byers, was plying his trade from the Alma and he was known to go and look for his patients round the local watering holes! 

The local wine merchant, James Vaughan, became licensee in the 1880s and subsequently much altered the interior of the building.

The demise of the local oil industry had a detrimental effect on the Alma and for a time the premises was closed.

Country Hotel, Haverfordwest

Former coaching inn known as the Salutation Hotel which dating back to 1842.  The first licensee was a Mr Fenwick who was also a horse-trader. 

Walter Reynolds took over the pub in 1835 and he remained there until the 1860s whilst also being an auctioneer and a town councillor. 

In 1940 Charles Grey took over the Salutation and immediately changed its name to the County Hotel which has remained to this day. 

Mill-Ford Arms, Haverfordwest

The pub has recently been changed to Mill-Ford Arms, previously known as the Milford Arms, previously known as the Milford Arms.  The inn sign has the coat of arms of landowner Lord Milford of Picton Castle.

William Powell was the licensee between 1809 to 1811 who had previously been a Sergeant in the Royal Pembroke Militia.

Became a popular and busy pub during the 1831 election and Edward Powell, the then landlord, served 154 breakfasts and 240 dinners for voters.  They also provided accommodation for 50 lodgers at a price of shilling a head.

The Bellevue, Haverfordwest

Formerly known as the Horse & Jockey and located in the Portfield area of Haverfordwest, an area at one time well known for its racecourse nearby. 

James Pugh was the landlord from 1852 to 1861 who also ran the Rutzen Arms in Narberth. 

During the 1880s Mrs Sarah Ambrey became the licensee and she changed the name to the Bellevue.

Thomas Leigh, landlord in the early 20th century had a reputation for getting into trouble with the town magistrates.

The Bull, Haverfordwest

Located at Prendergast area of Haverfordwest and built in the early 1800s and became known for good accommodation.  Ann Phillips was the licensee from 1848 to 1861 and one of her sons, Tom Phillips, became a Crimea war hero and later became the licensee of the Ivorites Arms in town. 

During the mid 20th century the pub had it very won boxing ring upstairs.

Various refurbishments over the years meant the death knell for the ‘snug’ but thankfully still retains it flagstoned flooring.

Friars Vaults, Haverfordwest

The former wine and spirits business became known as the Friars Vaults in the early 20th century when it was taken over by Jean Thomspon.

Later the Friars was sold to Allied Breweries and became a popular town centre public house

The Bristol Trader, Haverfordwest

Grade II listed building which dates back to the 1700s.  The Bristol Trader still stands on the quayside at Haverfordwest and a reminder of its former trading days.  Mary Llewhellin ran the Trader from the early 1830s to 1870 who also ran a successful business as a coal merchant.  She finally retired in 1871 but remained on the premises as a lodger until her death a year later aged ninety.  The local press reported she had been ‘for 57 years landlady at the Bristol Trader’.  William Skinner became the new landlord and also became a well known dog-breeder


Subscribe to RSS - Sir Benfro

Privacy & Terms | House Rules
E&OE. All content on this site, unless otherwise stated, is Copyright © PubsCymru
website by euan raffel