Sir Benfro

The Captain's Table, Saundersfoot

Large gabled public house located in the heart of Saundersfoot and on the harbour front.  Originally a restaurant in the 1960s  but turned into a pub by the 1970s called ‘The Captain’s Cabin’ licensed to Bill and Joyce Turner.   

Popular with the younger generation with its Sky Sports and pool table suitably located in the front lounge. 

Serving real ales

Live music during the busy summer season

Royal Oak, Saundersfoot

The Royal Oak, SaundersfootDuring the 19th century the Royal Oak became a favourite haunt for sea captains who traded from the harbour

The licensee during the early 1880s was John Thomas who became renowned for being drunk more often than not behind the bar!

Financial worries caused Edward Cramond, the licensee in 1913 to commit suicide

The Dragon Inn, Narberth

Before becoming a pub the Dragon was formerly a chemist but became the Green Dragon in the 1850s.  It soon became popular with the tradesmen of Narberth.

The licensee from 1897 to 1901 was Thomas Parsell Roberts and during this time the ‘Green’ was dropped from the pub’s name and the Friendly Society called Hearts of Oak began using the pub during this period.

The Ivy Bush, Narberth

The Ivy Bush was opened in the early 1840s and became a popular meeting place during fair and market days

The landlord in 1903 was David Williams who was forced by magistrates to seal the back door to make sure no one entered the premises on a Sunday!

During the 1970s the Ivy Bush was refurbished and for a while it even had a restaurant upstairs


Kirkland, Narberth

Kirkland, NarberthThe Kirkland was originally known as the Gate due to its proximity to one of Narberth’s tollgates and opened some time in the 1830s.  It owned, like many in its day, a yard and stables. 

Its name was changed to the Commercial in the early 1860s and from 1861 to 1867 the licensee was one John Phillips.

Farmers Arms, Narberth

The Farmers Arms stands on the corner of Spring Gardens and was opened in the late 1860s with a gardener John Williams being the first licensee

During the 1950s the Farmers became a first in the town with the beer to be drawn up to the bar by pump as the then landlord, Jack Hallwood, had opened up the cellars for this to be done.  Before, this the custom was to serve the beer from a barrel somewhere behind the bar

Eagle Inn, Narberth

Formerly known as the Ball and the licensees from 1810 to 1846 were James and Sarah Phillips.  Became known as the Eagle Inn around 1850 when the new landlord John Davies took over.  Whilst running the Eagle Inn the pub became the headquarters of the Sympathetic Benefit Society which had over a 100 meetings at the pub.

The Eagle Inn was nearly destroyed by fire in 1884 with the bar and fittings being completely destroyed but fortunately no one was hurt.  Unfortunately this was not the case when the inn caught fire again in the late 1960s.

Cardiff Arms, Cilgerran

Cardiff Arms, Cilgerran.  Taken August 2010Located on the high street and so named after the home city of the pub’s first landlord.  Generally believed the Cardiff Arms opened in readiness of the arrival of the railway.

The Ship and Anchor, Fishguard

Henry Garnon was the landlord between 1891 and 1920

Bennett's Navy Tavern, Fishguard

Originally known as the Red Lion and began life when schoolmaster James Davies opened it as a pub in 1826.  Later he ran a successful wine and spirit business from the premises.  His daughter Elizabeth married George Bennett and he ran the business for 40 years

The premises were refurbished in 1932 and became known as the Bennett’s Lion Hotel.  The name changed yet again in the 1960s when it became known as a wine bar called Bennett’s run by Thomas George Bennett Howell and William Bennett Howell, the fifth generation of the family


Subscribe to RSS - Sir Benfro

Privacy & Terms | House Rules
E&OE. All content on this site, unless otherwise stated, is Copyright © PubsCymru
website by euan raffel