Gone but not forgotten

Ship on Launch, New Quay

An apt name for a pub in a boat building village like New Quay.  It was opened by former harbourmaster James Davies in the 1840s. 

The Ship on Launch was located on Church Street and 'Its front door was said to fit so badly that there was always a terrible draught which, it was believed locally, eventually caused the death of the innkeeper from pneumonia’

Now a private house called Pennard 

Angel Inn, New Quay

The former Angel Inn stood at the junction of High Terrace and Church Street and behind Penwig farm. 

By the 1830s the shipbuilder David Davies lived on the premises and it had ceased operating as a public house.

Drawbridge Arms, Cardigan

During the 1850s the Drawbridge Arms was kept by Kitty Penbedwas and was located on what was known as the Middle Mwldan road. 

Commercial, Cardigan

During the mid 19th century the Commercial Hotel was one of the principal hostelries in Cardigan and in 1877 known as the Boadicea. 

In 1891 the Commercial was run by Samuel and Emma Owen who had a daughter aged 10 and had two servants Rachel Morgan age 21 and Mary Lewis age 18.

By the time the Commercial closed it was owned by Felinfoel Brewery and the landlord in 2008 was David Handel Lewis.

Pink Farm Inn, Llandudno

Arferai’r Pink Farm Inn sefyll ar Y Gogarth ac roedd ar agor yn ystod dechrau’r ugeinfed ganrif.   Ym 1890 Mrs. J. Roberts oedd y dafarnwraig a gwerthai cwrw a porter.  Uwchben y drws roedd arwydd yn dweud ‘Mrs. J. Roberts (late) William Owen, Farm Inn, Great Ormes Head, licensed to sell Ale & Porter, wines, refreshments etc.’

Yn ddiweddarach roedd yn dwyn yr enw Pink Farm Café cyn ei throi’n ôl yn fferm a gwelir yr hysbyseb pwl ‘Teas’ ar y to.

Cook's Arms, Clydach

The Cook’s Arms stood on the square in Clydach.  It was demolished for road widening developments in 1968.

Ship Inn, Bridgend

The Ship Inn was built in 1793 and was located opposite the current Barclays Bank in Dunraven Place and was a prominent posting and coaching inn.  It was demolished in 1981 to make way for the town shopping development

Old Oak Inn, Presteigne

The 17th century Old Oak Inn on Broad Street was renowned for its sporting association involving cock fighting which was held at the back of the inn.  Birds were carefully bred and trained and huge wagers placed on the winners by the local gentry. 

Oxford Arms, Presteigne

The Oxford Arms was named after Robert Harley (1661 – 1724), the Earl of Oxford and Mortimer and opened in 1825.  One of the first known landlords was John Roberts who was there in 1830.

At one time it was frequented by footballers who changed and showered before and after matches. 

It closed in the 1960s and became a private house called the Oxford.

Drovers Arms, Howey

The Drovers Arms, which is now a Thai restaurant, dates back to the late 19th century and stands opposite the Laughing Dog in Howey.  It possesses a 13th century cellar which was badly burnt in a fire in the 1890s. 


Privacy & Terms | House Rules
E&OE. All content on this site, unless otherwise stated, is Copyright © PubsCymru
website by euan raffel