Gone but not forgotten

Old Mill Hotel, Bargoed

The Old Mill Inn stood on Bridge Street in one of the oldest parts of Bargoed at one time known as Pont Aberbargoed.  The inn was built in 1739 and known locally as ‘Yr Hen Dafarn.  Name derives from an old corn mill which stood nearby with landlord, Daniel Lewis being the last miller.  Lewis was also the nephew of Evan James who wrote the Welsh national anthem.

By 2010 the hotel was closed and was destroyed by fire two years later.

The Bowls Inn, Penyrheol, Caerphilly

The Bowls Inn occupied a prominent position on the B4263 Abertridwr Road and stood opposite Station Road.  Dating back to the early 1880s and offered thirsty coal workers a place to relax after a hard day's graft.

In 1851 the public house was in the possession of Eli Price who was known as a butcher, farmer and innkeeper.  It is believed an earlier inn stood on the present site dating back to the 17th century and served the foundry and farm workers of Caerphilly.

Farmers Inn, Swansea

The Farmers stood on Frog Street and was demolished to erect Rutland Street School.

New Inn, Llanidloes

The New Inn stood on Short Bridge Street but closed to become Price’s Electrical premises.  It was at one time Llanidloes’ main hostelry.

The Bull Hotel, Presteigne

Former Bull Hotel, PresteigneThe Grade II listed building dates back to the early 18th century.  It stands near the market place and over the years became a recognised institution among sportsmen for its coursing suppers held from the 1850s to the 1890s. 

Golden Lion, Brecon

The Golden Lion was once a prominent inn in Brecon and was located on Lion Street and until recently the site of the Breconshire Coal and Lime Company.  It had stalls to cater for 50 horses and over 50 acres of land in the vicinity.

Waterloo Hotel, Aberystwyth

The waterloo Hotel was completely destroyed by fire in 1919 and the Kings Hall was built on the site.

Jersey Arms, Llansawel

Lleolwyd y Jersey Arms gyferbyn â Gorsaf yr Heddlu ar Heol Castell Nedd.  Cafodd ei chau er mwyn codi gorsaf betrol ym Mawrth 1971.

Lamb and Flag Inn near Cwmfelin

The Lamb and Flag was opened in 1845 and the licensee by 1908 was Mrs Catherine Rees.  Following a tribunal the inn was closed in the 1920s and is now a private house.

It was located some half a mile up the hill between Cwmfelin and Llangynwyd.  At one time the inn was used for the change and refreshment of bearers in funerals who were on their way to the churchyards.  

Talbot Arms, Maesteg

The Talbot Arms was located at the junction of Treharne Row and Upper Castle Street.  It was built during the 1830s and was one of the earliest public houses in Maesteg. 

At one time the Cwmdu Board of Health held some of their meetings within the public house.  The Talbot closed its doors in 1911 and was demolished.


Privacy & Terms | House Rules
E&OE. All content on this site, unless otherwise stated, is Copyright © PubsCymru
website by euan raffel