Gone but not forgotten

Stag's Head Inn, Hawarden

The former inn was closed in 1847 and has since been rebuilt and is now known as Sturat House.

Crown Inn, Flint

The Crown Inn in 1910 were supplied by the Chester Northgate Brewery Co. Ltd

Ogmore Valley Hotel, Ogmore Vale

The Ogmore stood on the top of Commerical Street Ogmore Vale.  Has since been converted into flats. 

King George, Maesteg

The King George stood on Commercial Street in Maesteg.  It was opened in 1868 but served its last pint in 1934.

Feathers Inn, Mold

The Feathers Inn was located on Upper High Street and closed around 1920.

Castle Inn, Hawarden

The Castle Inn was located at the junction of the Highway and Gladstone Way.  It was closed in 1925 and later demolished along with the rest of the terrace and replaced with Mossley Court in the late 1960s

White Lion Hotel, Rhyl

The White Lion was located on the high street.  Site of the old inn is now occupied by the bus station.

Gwesty Inn, Croes Penamen nr Abertillery

Five different roads met at Croes Penmaen and therefore quenched the thirst of many a weary traveler.

Like many watering holes in the area, Gwesty Inn was forced to close and be used as a coffee house during the era of Lady Llanover who strongly disapproved of alcohol.  Her desire and power within the community was the death knell for many public houses. 

The Coach and Horses, Blackwood

A once famous inn located in Blackwood but sadly demolished in 1958.  The inn was an important meeting place for the Chartists prior to their march on Newport in 1839.  Today Chartist House stands on the site and a plaque was unveiled to signify its importance to local history.

Photographs prior to demolish show windows blocked up to escape paying the window tax!

Parrot Inn, Merthyr Tudfil

Parrot Inn, Merthyr Inn


Privacy & Terms | House Rules
E&OE. All content on this site, unless otherwise stated, is Copyright © PubsCymru
website by euan raffel