Gone but not forgotten

Singing Kettle Inn

The Singing Kettle Inn stood on the busy A55 about four miles from Holywell.

At one time it was a popular destination for diners offering a separate restaurant.

It was demolished in the late 1990s and became a McDonalds.

Rising Sun, Nannerch

The 500 year old former coaching inn stood on the main A541 road between Mold and Denbigh.

During 1960s the Rising Sun was described thus:  ‘the exterior is very smart and well cared for while the interior  offers a high standard of quiet comfort…. with interesting Welsh Tapestry and luxury carpets’

Closed in the early 21st century and became a business.

Palace Hotel, Rhyl

At its peak the Palace Hotel had 24 double rooms and 6 single rooms making it one of Rhyl’s largest and leading hotels.  The impressive corner building stood on the western end of the sea front.

During the 1970s and 1980s the basement, which had a tiled dancefloor, became a lively discotheque at  weekends.  It was run by the renowned lady DJ Pat Swallow.

During the 1990s it was for sale for around £150,000 and is now home to Ali’s Burger Bar.

Ferry Hotel, Tal y Cafn

As the name implied the Ferry Hotel was constructed to serve the needs of farers crossing the river Conwy by ferry.

Sadly demolished to make way for housing during 1990s.

Cerrigllwydion Arms, Llanynys

The Cerrigllwydion Arms stands near the local 13th Church, St. Saeran, in the small village of Llanynys which is  located between Ruthin and Denbigh in Denbighshire.  The pub was originally built by one Edward Edwards, the Attorney of Cerrigllwydion Hall.  It was constructed on wastleland belonging to the Church where once the Parish stable stood.  Permission was granted by the Vicarage to (partially) construct part of Cerrigllwydion in the churchyard rather than obstructing the view of Denbigh Castle from parishioners.  

Britannia Arms, Pembroke Dock

Short lived public house which was opened by one Thomas Rees in the 1840s.

Closed in the 1860s and now a private house.

Red Lion, Pembroke

The former Red Lion dated back to the 1790s when a certain John Lewis was the licensee.  Name derives from the Cawdor coat of arms.

By 1859 the friendly society, Heart of Oak Benefit Society, met at the Red Lion.

The Red Lion closed its doors in the 1890s but is still serving the local community as a fish and chips shop.

Green Dragon, Pembroke

Ar un adeg roedd y Green Dragon, sef Banc Natwest Penfro heddiw, yn dafarndy ffasiynol yn nyddiau'r goets fawr.  Roedd y Green Dragon yn dyddio i'r 1770au a cafodd ei disgrifio fel tafarndy gorau Penfro yn llawlyfr Cambrian 1880.

Daeth y Green Dragon yn boblogaidd gydag amrywiol gymdeithasau fu'n cynnal ciniawau crand.  Cymdeithasau tebyg i 'Pembroke farmers Club', 'Oddfellows' 'United Friends Society' ac yn hwyrach y 'Loyal Order of Ancient Druids'.

York Tavern, Pembroke

Sadly the historic York Tavern closed its doors back in 2002.  According to local legend secret passages lead from the York, under the castle and on to the priory at Monkton.

It is said Cromwell was housed here during the civil war.

Another important historic figure, John Wesley, is said to have preached in the old chapel which at one time stood in the tavern’s grounds.

Three Crowns, Pembroke Dock

The Three Crowns dates back to the mid 19th century and was formerly known as the George and Dragon.  It was often referred to as ‘one of the most popular and cosy inns of pre-war Pembroke Dock’

The Three Crowns was badly damaged by a German air raid during May 1941 with the landlords Mr and Mrs Bowen being found alive in the rubble the following morning.

A skittle alley was attached to the Three Crowns during the 1960s when it was known at the time as Brooksies. Reverted back to the old name during the early 1990s.

Closed by 2013.


Privacy & Terms | House Rules
E&OE. All content on this site, unless otherwise stated, is Copyright © PubsCymru
website by euan raffel