Kings Arms, Pentyrch

The Kings Arms in Pentyrch is a 16th century Grade II listed Welsh longhouse farm called Cae Golman.  It has white washed stone walls.  Original features include flagstone floor and open fireplace while the walls are limewashed.  It became established as a public house in the 18th century.  A chamfered beam dated 1711 as in the lounge.

The Six Bells, Peterstone Wentlooge

Saif y Six Bells rhwng Casnewydd a Chaerdydd ac mae’n dyddio o’r 17eg ganrif.  Daw’r enw o’r clychau sy’n hongian yn nhwr eglwys y plwyf sydd gerllaw.  Mae llifogydd wedi effeithio ar yr ardal sawl gwaith, yn enwedig y Llif Mawr ym 1606 a gellir darllen am y digwyddiad hwnnw yn y dafarn.

33 Windsor Place, Cardiff

Unusual name but a good place for food and drink.

A Brains establishment just off the city centre.

On Twitter.

The Goat Major, Cardiff

The Goat Major, CardiffBuilt early in the 19th century and originally called the Goat.  Friendly pub with a strong military theme.  Name of pub taken from the Mascot of the Royal 41st Regiment of Wales. 

The goat survived the Crimean war and was introduced to Queen Victoria on its return. 

Birchgrove, Cardiff

A Brains pub on Caerphilly road which replaced an original coach house dating back to the 1700s.  Rebuilt in 1923 and designed by Sir Peter Thomas who also designed Swansea Guildhall.   The bar has tried to retain its traditional look. 

Fire destroyed the pub in 1968 and was closed for more than a year but thankfully rebuilt.

The Morning Advertiser voted the Birchgrove Community Pub of Wales winner in 2005. It has a Cask Marque for quality real ale and is in the Good Beer Guide.

The Old Arcade, Cardiff

Built in 1844 and originally called the Birdcage Inn before becoming the Arcade and Post Office and finally the Old Arcade. 

In the heart of Cardiff and one of the most famous rugby pubs and known the world over  becoming extremely busy during most sporting weekends. 

The lounge has its own bar and in the back a courtyard for smokers.

The George, Cardiff

Building work on the pub started in 1878 but not completed until 1891.  Originally called the Royal George but became Clancy’s Irish Bar.  Located in the student area of Cathays and Roath.

In former times it was the hangman’s house at ‘death junction’.  The first publican, Samuel Loveless was the nephew of James Hammett the Tolpuddle martyr.

Primarily a student pub these days but in the late 1980s and early 1990s a real locals watering hole.  Before refurbishment had a boop deck overlooking the bar area. 

The Railway, Llandaff North

Built in the 1870s by Eliza Brookman using stones from the nearby river Taff.  At one time a Cobblers shop stood next door but now part of the pub.

Locals pub with beer garden.

Apparently haunted by a cobbler!

Claude Hotel, Cardiff

A busy Brains pub built in 1890 which had a men’s only lounge prior to 1973 and also a ladies only bar known as the Snug.

Refurbished over the years and with the lounge oak floor now restored the Claude resembles its former glory.  Part of the Oak Room lounge panelling listed. 

Popular with students and locals alike especially with four pool tables!

One of the first Cardiff pubs to introduce the internet.

Albany Hotel, Cardiff

A Brains public house built in 1895. Popular establishment enjoyed by a mixture of clientele. 

Voted Camra pub of the year in 2005 and 2006.


Subscribe to RSS - Cardiff

Privacy & Terms | House Rules
E&OE. All content on this site, unless otherwise stated, is Copyright © PubsCymru
website by euan raffel