Gone but not forgotten

Monkey Inn, Caerau

The Monkey Inn was formerly known as the Blaencaerau Hotel.  Closed at the end of the 1980s and was completely destroyed by arson in September in 1990.  No trace of the inn remains.

Hen Dafarn, Llandudno

The Hen Dafarn was a 17th century inn located at the top of the old road known as Llwynon Terrace.  Generally believed from the yard of the inn the Baptists introduced non-conformity to Llandundno in 1798

Miners Arms, Llandudno

Adeilad o’r 18eg ganrif ag iddi 3 ffenest dormer oedd y Miners Arms.  Mae’r Beaver Lodge ar y safle nawr.

Mostyn Arms, Llandudno

Roedd y Mostyn Arms yn arfer sefyll ger Eglwys Llanrhos.

Castle, Brynmawr

The Castle stood on Market Hall, Brynmawr and was demolished and replaced with the New Griffin Hotel.

Tŷ Newydd, Llanharry

The Tŷ Newydd was an impressive building in the village of Llanharry and stood opposite the Bear inn.  Originally was a late 17th century yeoman’s dwelling and was much restored in the 19th century.  Pub demolished for development in 1974.

Prince of Wales, Aberavon

The Prince of Wales was erased to the ground in 1966 as part of the town’s redevelopment programme.  Now a part of the Aberavon centre shopping mall.

Lambert's Hotel, Holywell

Lambert’s Hotel was located on Well Hill, Holywell.  At one time carriages were available for hire for passengers to be taken to Winifride’s well.

By 1910 the Lambert belonged to the CTC (Cyclist Tourist Club) Winged Wheel society and had a cast iron plaque on the side of the building to show to cyclists they were members. 

Sergeant's Inn, Eglwyswrw

The Serjeant’s Inn was an 18th century Grade II coaching inn located in the heart of Eglwyswrw on the A 487 road.  At one time used by  the local Petty Sessions as recalled by the Pembrokeshire Antiquarian Richard Fenton:
‘Here during the stay of the itinerant counsel, a tribunal is constituted for trying all offenses against the dignity of the bar; in carrying on which mock process, an infinite deal of wit, humour and festivity is excited’

Ancaster Hotel, Betws-y-Coed

After closing the Ancaster Hotel became the Riverside restaurant.


Privacy & Terms | House Rules
E&OE. All content on this site, unless otherwise stated, is Copyright © PubsCymru
website by euan raffel